The photo above was taken when I was home in Charleston over the holidays. It’s a set of stairs at a place I’ve always loved, a place of wonder when I was a child. It’s a grand building that used to house a planetarium within its bowels, and I have many amazing memories of sitting in the dark, staring up at the projected stars and planets and dreaming about my future.
I’d tell you where we took the photo, but I’m not exactly sure it’s okay that we were there, even though we were only there for three minutes. But it made me think about how many dreams I dreamt for myself in that spot, and as the moss grows up the stairs and the foundation crumbles ever so slightly, how time passes on with and/or without some of those visions coming true.
I will turn 44 years old this year. That number seems slightly crazy to me (I certainly don’t feel that old,) but it’s made me aware of the fact that it’s time to dream some new dreams and set some new goals. At the end of 2015, I’d love to look back at my life and think, “WOW, what a year!” I want to challenge myself, but I also want to make sure the list isn’t entirely about me; I’d get sick of myself, as anyone would with 365 days of navel gazing.
And so, here is my list of the things I want to accomplish by December 31, 2015. I’m calling it the 44 for 44 Challenge.
- Learn how to surf
- Master crow pose and forearm handstand in yoga
- Go zip lining
- Go on a yoga retreat
- Finish my book manuscript
- Go “blonde”/lighten my hair
- Visit all the parks at Disney World
- Buy an article of clothing from Kirna Zabete
- Live in LA for a week
- Eat my way from LA to San Francisco
- Watch the sunset in Key West
- Interview Drew Barrymore for Fashion.Style.Beauty
- Try a new nail polish a week
- Try one new workout a week
- Try Core Fusion Extreme
- Wear a two-piece bathing suit…in a photo
- Learn how to make pasta
- Go vegan for a month
- Have high tea at The Plaza with a friend
- Eat at Jean-Georges
- Buy a black leather biker jacket
- Watch the sunrise in Hawaii
- See the Foo Fighters
- See The Who
- Walk the beach with my mom
- Adopt a rescue pet
- Hit my goal weight
- See an NFL game at a stadium
- Complete a fitness challenge
- Have dinner at the Chateau Marmont
- Have lunch at the Beverly Hills Hotel
- Learn to paddleboard
- Read one new book a week
- Have dinner in a new city once a month
- Simplify my wardrobe
- Take a burlesque class
- Redecorate my apartment for less than $500
- Find a monthly opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life
- Drive from Miami to Key West in a convertible
- Get published in a major magazine
- Launch email and Shop for FSB
- Meet and interview Amanda de Cadenet of TheConversation.tv
- Attend a movie premiere
- Take myself on a date once a month
I know, it seems slightly crazy, but it’s totally doable if I put myself first. Which is kind of the genius of doing something like this.
I’m also trying to learn how to shoot video, so while they’ll be incredibly amateur, I think it might be fun to document some of them in video. I will commit, however, to reporting in once a week on accomplishing at least one of these with at least a photo or three of accomplishing the task.
So, here’s my challenge to you: what birthday is coming up, and what do you want to do with your year? Make your own list and keep yourself honest. I’ll be posting my progress on social media with the hashtag #44for44, so wish me luck. I have a feeling it’s about to be a very big year. 🙂
Photographed by Megan Dailey in Charleston, WV, on December 27, 2015. All rights reserved.