Even though this message is brought to you as part of my role as a Brand Ambassador for Simple Skincare, the opinions within are strictly my own.
OK, so now that fall is actually upon us, let’s chat about how your going to change your skincare routine. Because, let’s face it: that lightweight loveliness that you use when it’s boiling hot outside isn’t going to withstand biting winds, driving snow, bitter cold and blasting indoor heat. If we’re being honest here, due to recent weather conditions, I’m predicting this winter will be one for the record books.
But if that’s not enough to convince you, here are three quick reasons why you should switch up your skincare routine for winter:
- No matter what your skin type, dry cold and blasting heat literally sucks the moisture right out of your skin, which is why you’re more prone to dull skin and fine lines about this time of year.
- If you have oily skin, all that dryness and biting wind can cause more irritation, which means more oil than a whole season of Dallas.
- If you have dry skin, you will become tight and dry, which is no fun AT ALL and can result in painfully itchy skin.
Alrighty, then. Let’s talk about how you change up your skincare routine for the coming of winter. 5 simple tips. Ready? Here we go:
1) Go for richer formulas in winter – Creamier moisturizers like Simple Skincare Moisturizing Facial Wash is perfect for sensitive skin and won’t irritate or clog pores, but it will add much-needed moisture and be kind to your face. Your goal is to add as much moisture as possible, which means using a rich moisturizer that can lock it in when you walk into the Wild Blue Yonder, like Simple Skincare Replenishing Rich Moisturizer. Add a serum under your moisturizer if you can. You’ll need all the help you can get.
2) Invest in a humidifier – Want skin that looks like you have a celebrity aesthetician living in your apartment? Fantastic. Add a humidifier to your bedroom and turn it on. It will place moisture back into the air and help your body not dry out while you sleep. Not only will it give you a glowing complexion, but it will help stop itchy, dry winter skin.
3) Try a different morning routine – I am a fan of – ready for it? – NOT washing my face in the morning. I haven’t done that for years, but particularly not in the winter. I splash my face with room temperature water, blot it with a towel and then apply toner to my face. Simple Skincare Soothing Facial Toner is alcohol-free and basically sets the pH balance of your face for the day. Just try it for a week and see how you feel.
4) Turn the water temperature down. Hey, I KNOW that hot water feels amazing when you come in from sub-zero temperatures, but hot water actually pulls moisture out of your skin. Try warm water instead. It will make a world of difference.
5) Moisturize like there’s no tomorrow. Place your hand in the air and repeat after me: “I hereby do solemnly swear that I will moisturize every morning, every evening and every single time I come indoors.” No, I am not kidding. At the very least, go for a good day cream and good night cream and DO NOT SKIP these steps for the entire winter. You have to protect that skin or it will take a licking and it will NOT keep on ticking. Give Simple Skincare Vital Vitamin Night Cream a try at night to replace the moisture you’ve lost during the day.
6) Exfoliate regularly – and GENTLY. Ok, so this is definitely the time to remove dead, dull skin but please, PLEASE do it gently and no more than twice a week, max. The trick? Use the same pressure on your face as if you were washing a silk shirt.
7) Always apply eye cream. Always. – In no other time will the delicate skin around your eyes take such a beating. Between dehydration, punishing winds and weather, blasting heat and the sun’s rays, your eyes will have their hands full this season. Apply eye cream in the morning with moisturizer, then at night before you go to bed. Here’s a friendly tip: if you feel like you look tired midday, mix a tiny amount of concealer with eye cream and pat it in for a refreshed look.