Right before the Kimberly Ovitz Spring 2013 presentation, I had a chance to go backstage to speak with the M·A·C Pro team on the inspiration for the look.
The thing about backstage (as you can probably tell from the photo) is that it’s incredibly narrow, very tight and a lot is going on in a very, very tiny space. If you’re claustrophobic, it’s not the place for you.
But I digress. Lead Artist Gina Brooke stated that the inspiration behind the look was “Nomad who designs her own mythology. This girl isn’t pretty princess Zen – she’s a badass.” The result was a glowing, naked face with bold brows. Here’s a breakdown of what was used:
- Skin was cleansed with Mineralize Charged Water Cleanser, then moisturized with Studio Moisture Cream
- Mineralize Moisture Foundation was applied with a Pro Performance Sponge
- Skin was perfected with a very small amount of Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer (only where needed)
- The faces were contoured with Coffee Walnut PRO Sculpting Cream. It was used to accentuate the cheeks.
- The look was given extra glow with Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Pressed Powder
- The natural flush of the eye is created by buffing in Topsoil CCS (coming for Spring, I believe) with #214 and #239 brushes, then blended
- Brows are achieved by brushing PRO eyeliner mixing medium (available via MAC Pro shops) through the brow and then styling the brow upward and inward using a #204 brush and a double-ended brow comb. It was also used to curl and style the lashes. Yep, no mascara or brow filler.
- The lip was made to match the hue of the skin with a touch of Studio Finish Concealer to just remove a touch of the pink to the lip, but not necessarily to erase it.
Gorgeous, right? You can get all of these products via your local M·A·C counter or store or via their website. I think it’s rather simple, pretty and achievable, don’t you? It’s kind of refreshing to think that spring will have a focus on great skin that just lets your own beauty shine through.
All photos in this post were taken with the Nikon D-3200 camera, which is featured as part of my New York Fashion Week partnership with Target. To learn more about this camera, head to Target.com or your local Target store for high-performance electronics at an incredible price.