One of the toughest things to do in the summer is decide what to do with your hair. Because, let’s face it, when it’s hot outside the last thing you want to do is spend time on a hairstyle that’s just going to die in about a minute when you leave the house. Ponytails and updos seem to be the easiest solution.
Well, I’ve got two rather fabulous hairstyles created by one of my favorite celebrity hairstylists, Charles Baker Strahan, that worked for two gorgeous ladies on the red carpet at the 2011 ESPY awards – Brooklyn Decker and Erin Andrews. Here’s how to get the look, straight from the hair guru himself:
- With Brooklyn, we started with second-day hair, which is typically better when working with short hair as it prevents it from looking too stiff.
- Using hairspray, grab random pieces of hair and twist them with your fingers, then flat-ironed the twists to create a slightly rougher wave texture.
- Back comb the hair at the crown at the root to give it volume and pin it back to create structure and lift.
- Using a 1 ¼” barrel curling iron, create waves with the shorter pieces around your face for feminine -yet-tough look.
- Finish the overall look with a little bit of the hairspray and you’re off to the red carpet!
- Starting with freshly-washed and air-dried hair, spray your hair with Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Spray Gel and wrapped pieces of hair from the lower left side of your head around a 1″ curling iron, turning the pieces slightly to the right for dramatic effect, then pull the entire group into a ponytail, leaving some soft pieces around the face.
- Repeat these steps on the right side of your head, pulling the curled pieces into a second ponytail, then bring both ponytails together.
- Rough your hair with your hands to release the wave and create a fuller look.
- Loosely pin the top of the head and then tousle the remaining hair with your hands once again to give it a loose wave.
- Finish the look with Herbal Essences Body Envy Hairspray and you’re done.