Ok, so I’m only showing you this clip from Sex and the City 2 for the purposes of this exercise. Try to get past the painful reunion of Carrie and Aidan in this scene. Instead, focus on how amazing Sarah Jessica Parker’s eyes look in this clip. As in, you don’t really see fine lines, do you?
I would also like to point out that this lovely video is – in my humble opinion – EXACTLY how this scene should have played out in the movie. Quick, all essential scenes shown in under 4 minutes, we’re done here. ANYWAY, moving on…
Ever since this movie, I’ve noticed that SJP can scarcely be seen on a red carpet (or in public sans sunglasses) without this deeply-dark dramatic eye makeup. I even watched the movie again to see if I’m right and it’s true: this is the new signature look. And it works because it’s brings the eye of the beholder right where you want it, which it the beauty of your irises and the whites of your eyes with that dark, perfect frame and they’re unaware of any fine lines that might be cropping up.
The next time you have a big night out and you might be feeling less-than fabulous about any fine lines that might be creeping up, try this trick and see if you don’t notice a marked improvement:
1) Moisturize. I repeat, moisturize.
2) Apply foundation or tinted moisturizer to your freshly-moisturized skin. Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation is flawless and so incredibly soft and easy. Be sure to define your brows with this (or any) makeup look. I like the Anastasia Beauty Express for Brows & Eyes Kit – it gives great definition in mere minutes.
3) Apply concealer where it’s needed. This time, apply concealer to your eyelids and underneath your eye (avoid your lash line.) It helps with the look. Apply blush to the apples of your cheeks, contour if necessary.
5) This is where luminizer comes in handy. Benefit Cosmetics makes Watt’s Up! – one of my favorites because it’s ridiculously easy to apply. Think of the product as a spotlight that shines a soft glow wherever you want it. In this case, apply a swipe to your brow bone, temples, cheekbones, and then down the center of your nose . Blend.
6) Go for a nude smoky eye here – think sand, sable and bronze tones with one touch of color toward the arch that mimics your eye color (SJP always has a deep sea blue on hers.) Urban Decay’s Naked Palette has amazing shadows to achieve this.
7) Here’s the trick: line your inner lash line and your top lash line with a great gel liner, like Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. The gel liner has the easy of a kohl liner but goes on looking wet like a liquid liner. Go over it again and let it dry. If you’re wearing contact lenses or have sensitive eyes, line just below the lower waterline. Apply two coats or three coats of a Bobbi Brown Extreme Party Mascara and allow the look to set. I recommend standing in front of cool air for about three minutes.
And you’re done. Try this for your next big night out and see if all eyes aren’t on you. 🙂