So, I got a chance to check out Sex and the City 2 last night and it appears that by the time I walked out of the theatre, the critics were already panning the movie. I’ve been privy to all sorts of commentary about the movie today and I feel like someone should say SOMETHING, so here it goes.
Look, we all know that every woman (and man) had a very personal relationship with Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha. The show had a cult following for a reason and every single one of us was affected personally by our relationship with these characters. If you’ll remember, people had very strong opinions and feelings about the show, the actions of the characters, the plotlines and, of course, the fashion choices while it was on HBO. I’ve heard people say things like “Carrie would never have done something like that” or “Miranda would never have worn that dress.” When the first movie came out, people loved it or hated it BECAUSE of this personal connection. Hence, reactions to the second movie would be no different: people come to the theater with their own ideas of what it should be like, and they either like the ride or they don’t.
As someone who enjoyed the movie, here are some things to increase your likelihood of enjoying your experience in the theater:
- People complained that the first movie was too dark and not as fun as the series. This time, SJP and Michael Patrick King delivered a fun, brightly-colored caper where our girls have a lot of fun, some sex and a rather glamorous time. Expect it to be more lighthearted and funny and you won’t be disappointed.
- You know how sometimes you’ll watch a whole season of the show without stopping, maybe six in succession? The movie reads like that. Expect it to feel like watching six episodes of the show instead of the feature film format of the first one and you’ll appreciate it more.
- Aiden is back. Depending on your emotional attachment to this character, you may or may not like it. I would suggest looking at it like going to a party where one of your ex-boyfriends arrives: experience the emotions of him showing up, try not to get emotionally involved, and when you leave the party try to take it for the experience it was and call it a day.
- You can plan a bathroom trip right after you see the hotel in Abu Dhabi when they’re having breakfast. Make it quick. You’ve got a maximum of five minutes maximum you can spare. Have your friend fill you in.
- The women are in their 40’s, people. There are a couple of wrinkles and plotlines about menopause, marriage, kids, sex and careers appropriate to the age of the characters. It’s not like they’re in a nursing home, though. If you’re about 35 or older, you’ll get all the inside jokes about being a little older and wiser. If not, focus on the hot guys and the fabulous shoes. The Zac Posen crenoline paired with the Dior t-shirt that Carrie wears while shopping in the souk should be enough to keep you entertained.
- Enjoy! Our ladies are back so take any expectations out of it. It’s not like the first movie, it might be the last time we get a chance to see our favorite foursome so grab some popcorn and enjoy!