Like it or not, fall is fast approaching and with it comes the adult version of back-to-school shopping. The coming season brings ladylike glamour back in spades, highlighting feminine charm and wiles with dresses of all kinds, sassy skirts and all nature of high heels. I, for one, am kind of happy to see this trend return. As rock and roll as my spirit is, there’s something refreshing about looking, well, “girlie.” Besides, I need something new. The waif-y girl with the long hair in the printed frock with the vintage-looking belt and ankle boots we see everywhere on style blogs is over. I’m bored to death with it.
If anyone could cure my anti-hipster fashion ails, it would be one of the legends of the garment industry, Diane Von Furstenberg. This fashion icon is delivering some stunning dresses and separates for fall and I’m personally obsessed with, among many items in the collection, this Davina dress. This is, ladies, a universally-flattering dress. Let’s look at all the high points, shall we?
– Silk chiffon is practically seasonless so it can transition from naked legs and ankle boots at the first slight downward movement of the mercury into tights and tall boots when much cooler temperatures arrive.
– Bias-cut pleats around the crew neck add interest so only simple jewelry (read: dazzling or simple earrings, a great set of bangles or a ring) is needed
– Those slightly-sheer sleeves hide a multitude of sins. If you’re not comfortable showing your upper arms, this is a sexy way to mask that problem.
– The contrasting grograin ribbon belt defines the waist and brings dramatic impact to what would otherwise be a rather ethereal dress.
– The length is flattering to every height.
– Consider the footwear options: ankle boots, thigh-high suede boots, jet-beaded evening sandals. The mind boggles.
I’ve basically made the argument(s) for you to snag this for your wardrobe. It’s the perfect transition-to-fall wardrobe item that will become a workhorse of your closet from late August all the way through March and beyond. In a word, ladies, this dress is hot.