Ok, so I’ve talked a lot about how to rock certain wardrobe items, but even I admit that I have a small fear of pastel-colored denim. Because I am neither a size 0 nor am I 6 feet tall, the concept of putting a lighter color on the lower part of my body fills me with a quiet fear.
But, inspired by my girl Kimberly Pesch of the fabulous blog Eat.Sleep.Wear and with the constant support and advice of my own personal style guru and closest friends, Dina Fierro of the equally amazing eye4style, I really wanted to show that you CAN wear pastel skinnies as a curvier gal. You just have to play with proportion and fit.
I asked Joe’s Jeans to send over a pair (FTC disclosure: these were sent to me by the brand) so I could show you some options of how to play with their incredibly soft High Rise Skinny Ankle Jeans, which come in 55 colors. After playing with this pair for a couple of weeks, they get my absolute approval: premium denim that will retain their shape and won’t gap, slide down or otherwise fall apart as you wear them.
Just remember that they’re sized like Italian denim, which means you’ll need two sizes above what you think you wear. Also, if you have a luscious backside like mine, always go for high rise denim. Fighting with your waistline all night is SO UNSEXY.
This is the look I rocked with the pair at the Birchbox season finale screening party of Gossip Girl. More on that party later, but this look is my grown-up homage to the show’s two main characters: notes of Blair (the chiffon blouse, the jeweled headband) combined with Serena’s French Vogue chic style (mixed prints, colored skinnies.)
Here’s a breakdown of what I’m wearing:
- Vintage jeweled headband (I’ve seriously had it for almost 20 years now, go for similar style from Colette Malouf)
- Cynthia Vincent Vintage Lace Back Blouse in Black with an American Apparel cotton spandex jersey black bodysuit underneath
- Joe’s Jeans High Rise Skinny Jeans in Baltic
- Rebecca Minkoff Bronze Puzzle MAB Mini (no longer available, but she has a bazillion fab bags, especially this next Love of My Life)
- Tiffany and Company Model TF2035 eyeglasses (which you can barely see from behind the phone, but they’re in there)
- Sir Allistair Rai Ikat print wrap
- Mossimo for Target Peg Peep-Toe Wedges
Tips to the look:
- The patterns pull the eye up and down, so there’s no focus on one particular area of the body.
- The dark color and the soft shape of the top creates a gentle shape above the fitted skinny leg of the jeans
- Go for a shoe with a print and a skinnier shape to balance the skinny leg of the jeans. A clunkier shoe would have made the look bottom-heavy.
I’ll bring my professional camera next time for a better photo, but that’s one of the ways to rock colored skinnies as a curvy gal over 30! Next up, I’ll try to mix it up for evening and put some sequins with it!